Sunday 19 October 2014

The Power of YET


 One of my goals this year, as stated in my ALP (Annual Learning Plan) is to practice the Growth Mindset. Our Principal mentioned it at the August PA Day and shared a  TED Talk by Eduardo Briceno. It got me thinking – so much so that I tell people that I’m on the Growth Mindset Road! It has been transformative and I’m just six weeks in! I’ve started reading Carole Dweck’s Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. I take exception to the title – this can-do attitude isn’t “new” – remember the “Little Engine That Could”?  The mantra was: “I think I can, I think I can …” Maybe it’s the context that is new.

But how has this been ‘transformative’? I find myself telling my students: “Okay, you aren’t able to (insert skill or question here)  - you just can’t do it YET. Let’s take a look at what you can do RIGHT NOW, to get there.” And I have to tell you – every time – EVERY SINGLE TIME (!!) a lightness comes over their facial features, with a smile – and a renewed energy infuses their body language. Such a small word – such a huge impact! I have followed it up with some goal setting for each individual, that we write down or type, on their laptops – something that is visual and retrievable. We make the goals attainable. I state that these goals are dynamic and that they can be adjusted as things roll along.

I am looking forward to watching how this new journey of mine/ours unfolds!

No comments:

Post a Comment